Appeal for witnesses after 98-year-old veteran attacked and robbed at home

0
3
Appeal for witnesses after 98-year-old veteran attacked and robbed at home

Son calls for information after violent robbery left Peter Goulding in critical condition





Peter Gouldstone in hospital. His son said he had suffered severe injuries and bleeds on the brain.







Peter Gouldstone in hospital. His son said he had suffered severe injuries and bleeds on the brain following the attack on him in his home.
Photograph: Metropolitan police/EPA

The family of a 98-year-old man, who was violently attacked and robbed in his home in north London, are appealing for witnesses and information.

Peter Gouldstone has been left fighting for his life after sustaining multiple bruising to his body and a head injury in a violent robbery that has shocked his family and neighbours.

Police were called by the London ambulance service to his apartment in Evesham Road, Bounds Green, London, at 10.06pm on Tuesday.

Gouldstone’s family have released a picture of him in his hospital bed, his son, Simon Gouldstone, saying he was “lost for words at man’s inhumanity to man”.

Simon said his father had lived at his address for more than 60 years and was housebound and required regular assistance. “I was the first person that found him on Tuesday. He was in his bedroom on the floor. I noticed that he was agitated and was semi-conscious. He could not communicate. He had bruising on his arms and face.

“I would urge any members of the public that know any information about those responsible or who may be able to help the investigation to come forward to the police as soon as possible.”

He said his father had suffered severe injuries, including two bleeds on the brain. He told reporters: “I don’t know how they can live with themselves. The sooner they’re locked up the better. As a member of the family I’m shocked; as a member of the human race I’m lost for words at man’s inhumanity to man, I’m afraid.”

Gouldstone’s neighbours said he was rarely seen outside following the death of his wife of 65 years, Joan, several years ago. The couple also had a daughter.

One neighbour, Pio Gomes, 78, spoke of a number of burglaries in the area in recent years. He said: “I used to take his bins out for him because he wasn’t steady. His son Simon used to come round and take him out, take him shopping. Of course it affects you because it’s worrying. It’s callous, who could have done this to an old man like him?”

Det Insp Paul Ridley, who is leading the investigation, said patrols had been stepped up in the area following the “brutal and senseless attack on a vulnerable pensioner in his own home”.

The police said that Gouldstone had spoken to a member of the family on the phone on Monday 5 November at 2pm and had not raised any concerns then. They believe the attack took place in the 20-hour gap between then and the time he was discovered.

Simon told reporters his father had worked on phone lines in Italy during the second world war before having a career at the post office then retiring around 1980.

A number of items are now missing from Gouldstone’s home, including a Panasonic television and other personal belongings.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here