NOIDA: Hundreds of employees of a Chinese smartphone manufacturing facility here resorted to violence on Thursday after around 200 of them were “sacked without notice”, officials said.
, which makes
, went on a rampage pelting stones at the building and barging in the facility in Sector 63, they said.
However, the company did not have any official response.
Police force was deployed at the site as well as senior officers, including Superintendent of Police, Noida City, Sudha Singh, reached there to assess the situation
Singh said police was alerted about the violation of the factory, under Phase 3 police station limits, around 10am and immediately reached the spot.
“We got to know that many employees had been resorted to violence after they were ‘sacked’ by their office without any notice,” she said.
Singh said no formal complaint had been lodged by the company till the afternoon, even as the facts of the facts were investigated by police.
However, a police official, who did not wish to be named, said three to four people have been arrested for questioning over their alleged involvement in the violence.
A source of the company said they had been the vendor – workers’ contractor – in advance about the changes
“Also, it is clearly mentioned in the terms and conditions of the contract that the company can reduce the workers without notice,” the source said.
The Labor Department officials who reached the unit in the afternoon said it was a case of “miscommunication” on the company’s part.
“Due to shortage of raw material, the company had asked the vendors to tell these people not to come to work from Monday.” But they are going to come to office and the management today will be punching in (biometric entry) from them.
“The vendor had probably not informed the workers that is why they kept coming to work which was apparently led to the misunderstanding. The office asked them to leave the premises and the workers said that they are not to know about the decision and the deportation They resorted to violence, “Assistant Labor Commissioner Harish Chandra Singh told PTI.
The vendors were not available on the site for clarification on the issue, Singh added.
He said the company claimed that it has engaged in a neighboring firm where it wants to train these employees, but due to power-related issues that could not happen immediately.
“The company said they did not direct the workers about the training program but told this to the vendor,” Singh said.
Meanwhile, a private security guard at the unit described that the morning shift workers had arrived at 8am for work and within two hours the rampage started.
“They went inside and usually by 8.30am they all set to work on the assembly line. But more than one thousand workers main building around 9.45am and chaos ensued,” the guard said.
He also claimed that after the attack on several employees fled the building.