Netflix has responded following the recent backlash over Stranger Things star Gaten Matarazzo’s new prank show on the streaming service.
Earlier this week it was confirmed that Matarazzo, who’s known for his role as Dustin Henderson on the hit Netflix series, will present and executive produce new show Prank Encounters, but the show’s premise has since been criticised by people online.
The eight-part series has been described by Netflix as “a hidden camera prank show where two strangers each think it’s their first day at a new job”, and many argued that the show was taking advantage of jobseekers.
The streaming platform has now clarified details of the prank show in a new statement, explaining that all of those who took part did so on the knowledge that it was only for one day and adding that everyone was paid for taking part too.
“The pranks in Prank Encounters are spooky, supernatural, and over the top, and everyone had a great time,” Netflix told Metro.co.uk. “All participants came in with the expectation this was a one-day, hourly gig and everyone got paid for their time.”
We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
“I think we should stop whenever the story feels like it needs to be completed,” he said at the 2019 MTV Movie & TV Awards. “I don’t think any season should be pushed. If there’s no more story, there’s no more story.”
Stranger Things season 3 is released on July 4 on Netflix.