NEW DELHI: The
on Tuesday ordered that floor test in Maharashtra be conducted tomorrow. A bench of Justices N V Ramana, Ashok Bhushan and Sanjiv Khanna said the vote by MLAs during the floor test will be through open ballot and not through secret ballot.
Here are the highlights of the top court verdict:
* We request Maharashtra governor to ensure floor test be held on November 27
Full Text: SC order on Maharashtra floor test* All elected members in Maharashtra assembly to take oath on November 27
* Exercise be over by 5 pm on Wednesday, no secret ballot during floor test in Maharashtra assembly
* Live telecast of entire proceedings in Maharashtra assembly
* Floor test to be conducted by Protem Speaker after he administers oath to MLAs
* There is need to respect separation of jurisdictions of legislature and courts. The courts should intervene only as a last resort. “This (Maharashtra) is one such case.”
* Undemocratic and illegal practices within the political arena should be curtailed.
* If the floor test is delayed there is a possibility of horse trading and it becomes incumbent upon the court to act to protect democratic values.
* Eight-weeks-time granted to Centre and others to file their replies on the plea of Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress combine against the Maharashtra governor’s decision to swear in Fadnavis as chief minister.