Infant who contracted Aspergillus mold infection at Seattle’s Children’s hospital dies – Seattle Times

1
25
Infant who contracted Aspergillus mold infection at Seattle’s Children’s hospital dies – Seattle Times
Elise Takahama

By

Seattle Times staff reporter

Beth Hutt, who was almost 6 months old, died early Wednesday after months of battling an Aspergillus infection she contracted at Seattle Children’s hospital.

Her parents, Katie and Micah Hutt, said in a Facebook post Wednesday that they were very grateful to the team that watched over their daughter and made sure her transition was “as painless and smooth as possible.”

“We will post when we’ve had the chance to make plans for celebrating our brave, courageous, beautiful warrior,” her parents said in the post. “Please understand that we likely won’t be responding to messages or calls while we figure out what ‘life after’ looks like.”

Beth was born in August with a heart condition and was rushed from MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital to Seattle Children’s, where she underwent three surgeries, beginning when she was 5 days old.

At some point during her stay at Seattle Children’s, Beth contracted an infection in her heart from the Aspergillus mold, a recurring problem that has sickened patients at the hospital as far back as 2001.

Beth’s family is involved in a class-action lawsuit against Children’s, first filed in December on behalf of the families of patients who have been sickened from the mold. The infant was added to the case in January.

1 COMMENT

  1. I do not know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing problems with your website.
    It looks like some of the written text in your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please
    comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This could be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    Kudos

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here