Explosion at north Edmonton bank leaves 2 security guards with ‘significant’ injuries | CBC News

Explosion at north Edmonton bank leaves 2 security guards with ‘significant’ injuries  | CBC News

Two security guards were injured Thursday during an explosion inside a bank in north Edmonton.

The security officers were delivering money to an ATM inside Scotiabank at 8140 160th Ave. around 2 a.m. MT when an “explosive device” was detonated, said Edmonton police Staff Sgt. Paul Czerwonka in an interview with CBC News. 

There was a confrontation between a suspect and one of the guards, Czerwonka said.

The man was armed and he fled the scene with “money in hand,” he said.

The suspect remains at large. 

The guards, a man and a woman employed by GardaWorld, were taken to hospital. 

“The injuries were significant, physically, from what I can see from the photographs,” Czerwonka said.

“There was definitely significant injuries to the male guard, to his head and his scalp, potentially his skull. I don’t know how deep his wounds are, but they’re pretty significant.” 

‘A pretty bad situation’

As of 6:30 a.m., a bomb unit  and forensic investigators were en route to the scene, Czerwonka said. Drivers were being asked to avoid the area. 

“We don’t even have a clue because the bomb guys haven’t done their search yet,” Czerwonka said. 

“I don’t believe it was an accident. I think it was a device meant to make the guards, make them not able to respond so they could grab the money and run. I think it was intentional.

“It’s a pretty bad situation. We’re still investigating.”  

Officials with GardaWorld have so far declined to comment on the incident.

There was a heavy police presence on scene Thursday morning. Police tape encircled the bank where a GardaWorld armoured truck could be seen parked adjacent to the front entrance. 

Police responded to a similar case in September when an improvised explosive device detonated  inside the vestibule of a bank near 27th Avenue and 141st Street in a southwest Edmonton. 

Guards had just arrived at the bank “to perform their regular duties” when a loud bang startled them, but no money was taken, police said.  

Police were called to the scene around 2 a.m. after a blast went off inside this Scotiabank location. (Lydia Neufield/CBC)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here