READ UPDATES IN CHINESE: 新冠病毒疫情最新消息汇总
China reported the number of infected medical workers for the first time.
China disclosed on Friday that 1,716 medical workers have contracted the virus and six of them have died.
The announcement was the first official confirmation about the number of infected medical workers, and is likely to ratchet up fears about the spread of the virus.
Zeng Yixin, deputy director of the National Health Commission, said the numbers of infected workers represented 3.8 percent of China’s overall confirmed infections as of Feb. 11. The victims represented 0.4 percent of all deaths nationwide.
Mr. Zeng said that Hubei, the province at the center of the outbreak, recorded 1,502 cases of infected medical workers, with 1,102 of them in Wuhan, the provincial capital. He added that further research was needed to ascertain whether the infections spread throughout the hospital or within the community.
“I think it’s quite concerning,” said Benjamin Cowling, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Hong Kong. “Health care workers face the challenge of caring for a substantial number of patients in Wuhan. It’s worrying to discover that a number of them have been infected.”
Medical workers in Hubei, already working round the clock, face a shortage of personal protective equipment such as masks, gowns and safety goggles. They have resorted to begging from friends, putting out frequent calls for donations, and using tape to patch up torn masks and gowns. Many doctors and nurses there say they eat only one meal a day because going to the restroom means removing and discarding safety gowns that they would not be able to replace.
During the SARS outbreak of 2002-3, 961 medical workers were infected, representing 18 percent of all infections, according to government data. About 1 percent of the medical workers infected with SARS died, the medical expert Xu Dezhong told Xinhua, China’s official news agency.
Blood plasma from survivors could help create a treatment.
A senior health official in Wuhan, China, the center of the outbreak, has called on residents who have recovered from the coronavirus to donate blood plasma, believing their naturally produced antibodies could be used to treat patients who are still sick.
Dr. Zhang Dingyu, the director of the Jinyintan Hospital in Wuhan, made his appeal on Thursday after Chinese researchers said they believed such antibody treatments could help people recover from the virus.
The search for a drug capable of treating or curing the virus has frustrated researchers, as rates of infection and deaths continue to mount.
The government is currently prescribing a combination of anti-viral drugs and traditional Chinese medicine. But on Thursday, China National Biotec Group, a state-owned company under the Ministry of Health, said it found that administering a round of human antibodies from the survivors to more than 10 critically ill patients caused inflammation levels to drop significantly after 12 to 24 hours of treatment.
The company called the use of plasma “the most effective method, which can significantly reduce the mortality of critically ill patients.”
Benjamin Cowling, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Hong Kong, said the use of antibodies to treat the coronavirus was “a really good idea,” noting that it had been used before in influenza pandemics. But he cautioned that it needed to be proven in a controlled trial.
“It’s basically transferring immunity from a patient who has recovered to a patient still fighting the infection, and then helping them to recover,” he said.
China records more than 5,000 new cases in 24 hours.
Numbers continued to climb after the government changed the criteria by which it tracks confirmed cases. China on Friday reported 5,090 new coronavirus cases and 121 new deaths in the previous 24 hours.
The authorities said a total of 63,851 people had been infected by the coronavirus and at least 1,380 people had been killed by the disease. Most of the cases occurred in Hubei, the center of the outbreak, which recorded 4,823 new cases and 116 deaths over the same period.
The tally in Hubei jumped most dramatically on Thursday after the authorities changed the diagnostic criteria for counting new cases. The government now takes into account cases diagnosed in clinical settings, including the use of CT scans, and not just those confirmed with specialized testing kits.
A coronavirus clinic in Hong Kong is attacked.
A Hong Kong clinic designated to treat suspected coronavirus cases suffered a second arson attack early Friday, officials said.
Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority said it “seriously condemned” the attack, against an outpatient clinic in the New Territories district of Tsuen Wan. A police spokeswoman said it had occurred overnight and left a door charred. The first attack, on Saturday afternoon, damaged an air-conditioner. No one was injured in either attack.
The clinic is about four miles from an apartment building where dozens of residents were evacuated earlier this week after two residents on different floors were found to be infected, raising new fears about how the virus spreads. (Officials said an unsealed pipe might be to blame.)
There were 56 confirmed cases in the city as of Friday. Fearing a wider outbreak, residents have been staging small-scale protests at several clinics assigned to treat people with mild symptoms of the virus. Late last month, the government shelved a plan to turn an unoccupied housing project into a quarantine facility after protesters set a fire in the lobby.
As public anger and anxiety mount, the Beijing-backed government has been accused by many residents of not doing enough to contain the spread of the virus, including the refusal to quickly order a complete shutdown of the border with mainland China. The authorities have gradually restricted arrivals from mainland China over the past few weeks.
Carrie Lam, Hong Kong’s chief executive, said on Friday that her administration will do its best to repatriate more than 2,000 of the city’s residents stranded in Hubei province and aboard the Diamond Princess, the cruise ship quarantined off Japan’s coast.
The Hong Kong government has received more than 1,000 requests for help from over 300 cities across Hubei, including in Wuhan, Mrs. Lam said. Ten people from Hong Kong in the region were confirmed to have been infected.
Some 330 Hong Kong residents remain stuck on the cruise ship in Japan, and 11 of them were infected, officials said. The Hong Kong authorities are pressing their Japanese counterparts to consider allowing its citizens to be quarantined onshore and to get tested for the virus as soon as possible, said John Lee, the city’s security minister, on Friday.
Japan announces $96 million in emergency funds to help deal with the fallout.
Japan said Friday that it would allocate about $96 million in emergency funds to help deal with the fallout from the coronavirus, a decision that comes after the country confirmed its first death related to the illness.
The Japanese cabinet approved the funds to strengthen countermeasures against the disease and provide support for small- and medium-size businesses that are struggling with low sales amid a drop in visitors from China, the main source of tourists in Japan.
Japan has the largest number of positive diagnoses of the coronavirus outside of China. And it has been struggling to deal with the management of 3,700 people who were exposed to the illness while aboard the Diamond Princess, a cruise ship that is under quarantine in Yokohama.
Hundreds of people have tested positive for the illness and been taken off the ship and transported to hospitals, while many more remain in isolation on the ship, where they are expected to stay until the end of the quarantine period on Feb 19.
The cabinet’s decision to approve the emergency funds comes after the death of a woman in her 80s in Japan’s Kanagawa Prefecture and the announcement of several more cases that do not appear to be directly linked to the cruise ship or individuals who had recently traveled to China.
Friday morning, authorities said they had confirmed a new case: a man in his 70s in Wakayama Prefecture who had visited a hospital where a doctor who was infected had worked. A colleague of the doctor and another patient had also come down with symptoms of pneumonia and were being monitored, officials said.
Valentine’s Day in the time of coronavirus leaves much to be desired.
During the coronavirus outbreak, cinemas and restaurants across China have shut their doors, parks and streets are empty, and public events have been postponed.
For couples, that meant there were few places to celebrate Valentine’s Day on Friday. But some came up with creative ways to declare their love.
In a nod to the scarcity of fresh vegetables, people ordered nicely wrapped bouquets of broccoli, cauliflowers and snacks, according to data from the delivery service Meituan. Others sent face masks, goggles and wipes, the data showed.
Online meal orders also reflected the crisis at hand. Last Valentine’s Day, the most popular orders were steak sets for two, hot pot and Cantonese food. This year, the top choices included simpler options — pizza and basic Chinese meals.
Hotels, of course, have seen bookings plummet. Zhang Lu, vice president of Myriad, a chain of 40 “love hotels” across the country, said the vast majority of them were closed on government orders. Some were being used as quarantine sites.
“I really hope this is going to end soon,” Ms. Zhang said.
Many people were stranded far away from their significant others because of travel restrictions. On the social platform Weibo, people shared makeup tips for online video chats and recipes for homemade meals, under the trending topic “it’s a long-distance relationship for everyone this year.”
For florists who count on Valentine’s Day business, the situation was brutal. In Dounan Flower Market in the southwestern province of Yunnan, sellers had to dump millions of roses, according to a report by Jiemian, a Chinese news site. The price of roses had collapsed while the cost of delivery soared.
“Right now many people are worried about whether they can buy enough food,” one seller said. “They are not in the mood for flowers.”
The U.S. says it will approve aid to North Korea to fight the coronavirus there.
The United States said on Friday that it would approve humanitarian assistance to North Korea to help international aid agencies fight the coronavirus there, amid fears that the impoverished country may be hiding an outbreak.
North Korea has not reported any cases of the new coronavirus. But in the past week, some South Korean news reports, citing unnamed sources within the secretive North, said there had been deaths in the country that were suspected to be related to the virus. The reports could not be confirmed.
North Korea shares a 930-mile border with China, where the coronavirus emerged, and has taken aggressive steps to prevent its spread, including suspending all flights and trains to and from China.
North Korea’s public health system remains dysfunctional, and the travel restrictions have made it more difficult for the North to buy or smuggle medicine, goods and other supplies from China. Relief organizations have complained that American-led U.N. sanctions have blocked them from quickly approving aid.
This week, the Red Cross called for a sanctions exemption allowing it to transfer money to its office in North Korea, describing it as “a lifesaving intervention.” It cited an urgent need for personal protective gear and testing kits to prepare for an outbreak in North Korea.
The United States has similarly expressed alarm, saying it would not stand in the way of such aid.
“The United States is deeply concerned about the vulnerability of the North Korean people to a coronavirus outbreak,” Morgan Ortagus, a State Department spokeswoman, said in a statement on Thursday.
She added that Washington encourages American and international aid groups to “counter and contain the spread of coronavirus” in the North.
Indonesia denies Chinese traveler caught virus while in Bali.
A Chinese tourist who showed signs of the coronavirus after returning home from Bali, Indonesia, did not contract the disease while on holiday and must have been infected later, Indonesian health officials said on Friday.
Officials said they have tested 70 people suspected of being infected and they were all found to be negative. Among the suspected cases, 14 were on Bali, a popular tourist destination that welcomed 2 million Chinese visitors a year before the coronavirus outbreak.
“No case in Indonesia has been found,” said Ketut Suarjaya, head of the Bali provincial health office.
The Chinese tourist, who visited Bali from January 22 to 28, was determined to have the virus on Feb. 5, he said.
Health officials checked the tourist’s hotel and found no other cases of infection. They were continuing to trace the tourist’s activities in Bali, he said.
But he noted that the 14-day incubation period for the illness had elapsed without any cases of infection being found.
Wuhan doctor issues a rare public rebuke of the government’s handling of the crisis.
The Chinese government failed to sound a public warning in the early days of the outbreak even though scientists were aware of human-to-human transmission, a doctor from Wuhan wrote in a paper published by the Lancet this week.
Dr. Zhang Hong of Zhongnan Hospital wrote that the local authorities allowed more than 5 million people to leave Wuhan to travel for the Lunar New Year holiday despite warnings from Chinese scientists.
“Early detection and early reporting were delayed,” Dr. Zhang wrote.
The paper was a rare instance of a medical professional criticizing the government, especially at a time when doctors and nurses have come under pressure not to speak out. Dr. Zhang also wrote that doctors did not understand the severity and contagiousness of the new coronavirus early on, and that medical workers failed to fully protect themselves as a result.
He wrote that the supplies of protective equipment in hospitals are severely insufficient, and were worsened by the implementation of traffic controls after the government sealed off cities across China. He called on the government to “pay attention to the front-line doctors and provide adequate protective equipment to reduce their risk of infection.”
Overstretched hospitals were forced to turn patients away as the virus spread, “inevitably increasing morbidity and mortality,” he added.
The authorities in Wuhan have admitted that public announcements about the virus were delayed. In late January, when the outbreak was spreading throughout Wuhan, the city’s mayor, Zhou Xianwang, acknowledged that the disclosures had not been timely, but said his hands were tied because he could only publicize it “in accordance with the law.”
Reporting and research was contributed by Sui-Lee Wee, Choe Sang-Hun, Richard C. Paddock, Elaine Yu, Motoko Rich, Lin Qiqing, Karen Zraick, Amber Wang, Zoe Mou, Albee Zhang, Yiwei Wang, and Claire Fu.