CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – A drug-resistant bacterial infection that was likely transmitted through pet store puppies has sickened 30 people in 13 states, including Ohio, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
The bacterial strain is called Campylobacter jejuni, and four people have been hospitalized so far.
Twenty-one of 24 people who exhibited symptoms said they had contact with a puppy prior to becoming ill.
Cases have been confirmed in Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah and Wyoming.
Many states only had a handful of cases, but Ohio had 5.
Health officials encourage people to wash their hands after petting dogs, handling their food or when cleaning up after them.
Children should also be supervised, and puppies should not lick their mouths.
Copyright 2019 WOIO. All rights reserved.